Eight new gifts have pushed the The Empty Stocking Fund near the $20,000 mark.
There are several memorial gifts made today, including one for $1,000 from Dr. Andrew Simays and his wife Polly in honor of their neighbor and friend John Rancke. There is also a gift from Sylvia Richardson in memory of her husband, Dr. David Richardson, who used to raise thousands of dollars at his practice each year that was contributed to the fund.
Thanks to the folks at the Pembroke Housing Authority for raising $500 for the fund, and Zion Hill Baptist Church of Rennert for its $300 donation.
There is now $19,411.60 in the fund, enough for Christmas for 388 children. Eighty-six of the 90 gifts have been for at least $25, meaning each will be matched with a $25 gift from an anonymous benefactor, adding $2,150 that remains unreported.
The deadline to contribute is Thursday at 5 p.m. and it cannot be extended as staff at the Department of Social Services needs time to distribute the vouchers.
Donations can be made in person at our office at 2175 N. Roberts Ave. or mailed to us at P.O. Box 1028, Lumberton, N.C., 28359. Just make the check payable to The Empty Stocking Fund.
Each day The Robesonian will list the money donated and the contributors. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can do so by being listed as “A friend” or “Anonymous.”
With donations of $500 or more, The Robesonian will publish a photograph if that is requested. Anyone wishing to have a photograph published should try to get that donation in quickly to give the best chance that the photograph will appear on Page 1A. Call Editor Donnie Douglas at 910-272-6104 if that is your plan.
Previous total……… $17,011.60
90. In memory of John Rancke, from Dr. Andrew and Polly Simays ……. $1,000
91. Lumberton Service Club, President Vivian Floyd Camp and Secretary Beth Graham Lindsey….. $200
92. “Employees of the Pembroke Housing Authority” in honor of former Commissioner Bricy Hammonds who retired July, 2013……$500
93. In loving memory of Clyde, Donna, and Brenda Lindsey, and Chad Allen Arnette with love, Kathleen Lindsey…..$100
94. In loving memory of Chad Allen Arnette, from Mom and Dad…..$1000
95. In loving memory of Marie U. Huggins, from Barclay, Ericka and Bryson Dail…..$100
96. Zion Hill Baptist Church of Rennert ….. $300
97. In memory of my beloved husband, Dr. David L Richardson, from Sylvia Richardson…..$100
New total …….$19,411.60