Last updated: March 21. 2014 6:50AM - 2242 Views
By - swillets@civitasmedia.com



Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

LUMBERTON — A family of 10 was displaced by a fire Wednesday, but East Howellsville Fire Chief Steven West says they should be able to return to home soon.


The fire broke out Wednesday night when a heater in the Shawn Road home malfunctioned on the second floor, West said.


“This was all contained in the ceiling between the first and second floor, between a probably 4-by-4 foot area,” he said.


The heating system will have to be replaced, but there was no major structural damage during the blaze. West said the fire was under control quickly once firefighters were able to get to it.


“We actually had to take the upstairs heating unit completely out of the wall … and cut a hole to get to the ceiling where the fire was at,’ West said.


Two adults, seven children and one infant live in the two-story house. West said he was told some of the children were in the home when the fire began to burn, but that no one was injured.


Because the home has no heat, the local Red Cross stepped in to provide the family with temporary housing in a hotel, according to Disaster Program Manager Carol Ann Lentz.


The Red Cross also provided clothing, shoes and food for the family.


“A volunteer disaster caseworker has been assigned to assist the family in the coming days and weeks to identify other resources to aid in the recovery after this disaster,” Lentz said.

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Mortgage Minute