Today we have a special story to tell about the generosity of Amy Smith Mercer’s sixth-grade reading class at Deep Branch Elementary School.
The children recently lost their classmate and friend, Kanikki Lance Johnson, to an unexpected illness. The 11-year-old died a week ago today.
In his memory, Mercer’s students raised $620.69 for The Empty Stocking Fund. Included in that total is a $50 gift from Kanikki’s father, who told Mercer that Kanikki told him the night before his death that he wanted to contribute to the fund. Mercer said her students, while grief stricken from the loss of their friend, are thrilled that they have provided Christmas for 12 needy children in Robeson County.
A photograph of Mercer’s class and of Kanikki accompany this story.
There are 13 more gifts to the fund, including the day’s largest, a $650 donation from Proctorville Baptist Church, all of which push the total past the $30,000 mark.
Friday at 2 p.m. is the deadline to contribute, so if you plan to do so, please hurry.
It is probably too late to mail a donation, so we ask that they be dropped off at our office at 2175 N. Roberts Ave. Just make the check payable to The Empty Stocking Fund.
Each day The Robesonian will list the money donated and the contributors. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can do so by being listed as “A friend” or “Anonymous.”
Previous total……… $28,857.00
181. In honor of John and Pam Rancke and family, from Henry and Gayle Lewis $50.00
182. In memory of our parents, from Henry and Gayle Lewis $50.00
183. Proctorville Baptist Church ……..$650.00
184. Given by Linda and Elizabeth Hester in memory of Robert, Ronnie and Barry Hester ….$100.00
185. From Amy’s 6th-grade reading class at Deep Branch Elementary School …..$620.69
186. In loving memory of my son Cory Rogers, from Teresa Rogers …..$20.00
187. In loving memory of my daddy Winston Ivey, from Teresa Rogers ……$20.00
188. In loving memory of my grandma Elizabeth Ivey, from Teresa Rogers …….$20.00
189. In honor of my two special nephews John and Jerry Rogers, from Teresa Rogers …..$20.00
190. In loving memory of the children at Sandy Hooks Elementary, from Teresa Rogers …..$20.00
191. In memory of Leanne Biggins …….$100.00
192. In honor of Bill Williford. from Mark Bee …….$25.00
193. In honor of John and Pam Rancke, from Beverly Townsend ……$50.00
New total ….. $30,602.69