ROWLAND — A family was forced from their home on Thursday when a fire made it uninhabitable, according to Pat Smartt, emergency services director of the American Red Cross in Lumberton. None of the seven people inside the home were injured.
The fire at a single-family dwelling 308 South Watson Road destroyed a bedroom and caused damage throughout the home from heavy smoke, soot and water, according to Smartt. It started with a mattress, Smartt said.
“One of the children was playing with matches or lighters under the bed,” she said.
There were four adults and three children — ages 4, 7 and 8 months — who were forced from the home. The American Red Cross has provided them temporary housing in a hotel, food, baby formula, shoes and clothing.