LUMBERTON — A small fire at Lumberton High School on Thursday forced the school to be evacuated, but no one was injured and damage was limited to a trash can.
Principal Larry Obeda said the fire started when a student lit paper towels on fire and put them in a trash can in a girls bathroom on the second floor at about 1 p.m.. A fire alarm sounded and the school was quickly evacuated.
A custodian found the fire and it was put out immediately, according to Obeda.
Obeda said Lumberton firefighters used fans to ventilate the school. The decision was made to send students back to class after about 10 minutes.
Obeda said school officials believe they know the identity of the student who started the fire, but the investigation was continuing.