The original charter was granted on March 6, 1924, after 74 community leaders formed the Kiwanis Club of Lumberton. The club is a community service organization focusing on youths of Robeson County.
Ralph Ussery, the chapter’s oldest tenured member, cut the cake commemorating 85 years of service to the community. He joined the organization in 1962 after eating supper with the club as a guest of the police chief.
Today, the club is known as the Kiwanis Club of Robeson-Lumberton, which resulted from a 2006 merger between the Kiwanis Club of Robeson and the Kiwanis Club of Lumberton. The Kiwanis Club of Robeson was formed in 1978 with the Kiwanis Club of Lumberton as its sponsor.
Kiwanis of Robeson-Lumberton today has a membership of about 70 men and women. The club conducts two fund-raisers each year: The Kiwanis All-American Golf Tournament at Pinecrest Country Club in August and the Kiwanis Pancake Festival in November at the Bill Sapp Center. The Kiwanis makes about $35,000 in contributions annually to many Lumberton and Robeson County charities whose focus is children.