MAXTON — Investigators are trying to determine who threw a Molotov cocktail at a Maxton home on Thursday, causing a fire and limited damage.
Sheriff’s Lt. Brian Duckworth said that the Queheel Fire Department responded to an emergency call at 11:14 p.m. by Marshall Smiling, of N.C. 130 West, about a fire on the stairs of the home.
“No one was hurt,” Duckworth said, “but the steps were sooted out and it busted the vinyl of the house where it initially hit.”
Duckworth said investigators recovered a bottle with a wick that “reeked of gasoline”.
There are four people living in the home, but only two were home at the time of incident.
The fire was extinguished before firefighters arrived.