PARKTON — Two Robeson County families that have lost their homes to separate fires during the past week have received help from the American Red Cross. No one was injured in either fire.
The names of the couple who lost their home at 3375 Glenn Road in Parkton were not available.
According to Lt. Shawn Simmons of the Parkton Volunteer Fire Department, the department received a phone call from “a passing by motorist” shortly before midnight Saturday. Two adults lived in the single-family dwelling, but no one was home at the time of the fire.
“The house even fell in,” said Carol Lentz, executive director of the Scotland County chapter of the American Red Cross. “It was completely destroyed.”
The couple is currently living with relatives. The American Red Cross provided the family with clothing, food, bedding and linen.
On Wednesday, an Orrum family lost their home on Wire Grass Road. Two adults and two children lived at the home, but their names were not available.
The Smyrna Volunteer Fire Department firefighters determined the fire was caused by an electrical problem.
The Red Cross provided the family temporary lodging at a hotel, clothing, shoes and food.
Lentz said that the American Red Cross has helped 115 families in Scotland and Robeson counties in the past year with emergency needs following fires.