Rowland wants share of FEMA dollars

ROWLAND — Town leaders resolved Tuesday to make sure Rowland is not overlooked when federal relief money is being awarded.

Town Clerk David Townsend told the board of commissioners he attended a meeting on Monday about money from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. He thought it it was important to represent Rowland because he didn’t want the town to be left out when hurricane recovery money is distributed.

“When the county gets money like this, it goes to the towns like Lumberton and Pembroke and then the smaller towns like Rowland get forgotten,” Townsend said. “I wanted to go and make sure Rowland’s name was included.”

Commissioner Paul Hunt expressed his frustration with Rowland’s lack of progress in repairing damage caused by Hurricane Matthew.

“Why does it look like other towns are getting their work done?” Hunt said to fellow board members. “We still have stumps laying around in our town.”

According to Townsend, $69 million would be going into Robeson County. Townsend explained that 80 percent of the money is to go to housing and the other 20 percent is for infrastructure.

Townsend is hoping to get $500,000 for the town to repair hurricane damage. The first priority is the housing, but with the money left over Townsend wants the town to tackle drainage issues. Rowland got 18 inches of rain during the October hurricane.

“This area is flat. There’s nowhere for the water to run so we have to fix the drainage sewers,” he said.

In other business, the commissioners:

— Discussed the need to repair the roof on the depot on Main Street. Townsend said the roof was badly damaged during Hurricane Matthew. He proposed repairing only the 100-foot section that was damaged rather than replacing the entire roof. The commissioners awarded the job to Exteriors R Us, whose quote was $17,545.

— Awarded an administrative contract to Lumber River Council of Governments to coordinate and manage the Wastewater Asset Management Project. The project’s purpose is to develop an asset management plan and update a set of utility infrastructure maps.

By Tomeka Sinclair