Man charged with kidnapping, rape

By: Staff Report
Perry Chavis II

PEMBROKE — A 27-year-old Robeson County man has been arrested and charged with kidnapping and raping a woman he works with, a Pembroke police detective said.

Perry Lynn Chavis II was arrested Tuesday without incident at his Pine Street residence, according to Detective Todd Harris. He faces charges of first-degree kidnapping and first-degree rape in connection with the March 17 attack of a 20-year-old Fayetteville woman. Chavis is being held in the Robeson County Detention Center on a $60,000 bond.

The investigation began after Pembroke police received a call from a woman who said she had been raped, Harris said. He spoke with the woman at Southeastern Regional Medical Center. She said Chavis forced her to have sex with him in his home. The victim said Chavis used physical force and threatened her with a shotgun.

“It was basically, they kind of work together,” Harris said. “They had been working together for a couple of months. It was work-related.”

Chavis runs a flea market business, Harris said. The alleged victim was at Chavis’ residence that evening helping him load up items to take to a flea market. No one else was at the residence of the alleged incident, according to Harris.

U.S. marshals assisted Pembroke police with the arrest.

Perry Chavis II
https://www.robesonian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/web1_Perry-Chavis-II_1.jpgPerry Chavis II

Staff Report