Maxton man gets 20 years for shooting, robbery

By: By Mike Gellatly - [email protected]

RALEIGH — A Maxton man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to robbing a home, shooting a resident and stealing thousands of dollars of marijuana.

Ronnie Deese, 39, of Maxton last week pleaded guilty to charges of discharging a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence.

Sheriff’s deputies on May 28, 2016, responded to a report of a shooting at a residence on Tuscarora Nation Road, where a witness said a bloodied man had knocked on the door of his home. He opened the door and the injured man entered, followed by Deese.

Deese pointed a firearm at the homeowner and ordered him to surrender marijuana, according to court documents. The homeowner told Deese he did not have any marijuana and Deese shot the man in the foot, according to the court testimony. Deese then began searching the home and when he entered the kitchen, the homeowner escaped through the front door. Deese left the residence with a trash bag containing approximately $5,000 worth of marijuana, according to court documents.

Sheriff’s deputies on June 2, 2016, searched Deese’s residence and seized a stolen 9mm semi-automatic pistol from Deese’s bedroom.

According to court documents, the handgun was stolen from another home in Maxton. When interviewed at Robeson County Sheriff’s Office by the FBI, Deese said he had the gun for protection but did not know that it was stolen, the initial indictment states. In that interview, Deese admitted knowing that it was illegal for him, as a felon, to have a firearm in his possession, according to documents sworn by an agent of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

After Deese’s 20-year sentence, he will serve five years of supervised release. The Robesonian was unable to secure a photograph of Deese.

According to the North Carolina Department of Corrections, Deese was convicted of voluntary manslaughter on July 8, 1999, and spent four years in prison.

By Mike Gellatly

[email protected]

Reach Mike Gellatly at 910-816-1989 or via Twitter @MikeGellatly

Reach Mike Gellatly at 910-816-1989 or via Twitter @MikeGellatly