Saturday, July 2, 2022

Breaking News

Robeson County’s unemployment numbers continue to fall

Robeson County’s unemployment rate saw a slight increase in May, according to the North Carolina Department of Commerce.

Fireworks light Lumberton sky during Family Fourth Celebration

The City of Lumberton brought in the Independence Day holiday with the Family Fourth Celebration Saturday. The event held at the Alton Brooks Stadium at Lumberton High School included an American Flag presentation, a drop-in from the All Veteran Parachute Team, a live performance by Antique Outlaws and ended with a fireworks show, courtesy of Zambelli Internationale.

Latest Issue
Lumberton
scattered clouds
83.8 ° F
85.4 °
78.8 °
70 %
1.9mph
40 %
Sun
98 °
Mon
91 °
Tue
93 °
Wed
100 °
Thu
87 °

Lumbee Homecoming Parade takes Pembroke

Hundreds of spectators lined a mile-long stretch of Third Street in Pembroke to view the 2022 Lumbee Homecoming Parade. The rain held as pageant queens, politicians, businesses, town officials, veterans, fire trucks, Shriners and more traveled the route of one of the largest parades in Robeson County.

Pet of the week

Nolan is available for adoption at the Robeson County Animal Shelter. He is a 10-month-old that is neutered, up-to-date on all vaccines, and has a clean bill of health. He loves to play outside and is dog friendly. Nolan’s adoption fee is $25. The shelter’s adoption hours are noon to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. The Robeson County Animal Shelter is located at 255 Landfill Road in St. Pauls. The shelter’s telephone number is 910-865-2200.

Lumberton man arrested, charged with drug trafficking

LUMBERTON — A Lumberton man is being held under a $1.1 million secured bond after being arrested and charged in connection to multiple crimes Thursday including drug trafficking.

OUR HISTORY: Ford’s Mill & Page’s Mill

The inscription on the Ford’s Mill & Page’s Mill historical marker tells the story of development in the late 1700s. It reads, “In 1792 Major William Ford built a dam at each end of Bear Swamp, creating a millpond and building a grist mill. This area was known as Ford’s Mill for many years. In 1870 Dr. C. T. Ford sold the property to his brother-in-law, Joseph N. Page, who soon opened a large general store. The community was renamed Page’s Mill, and in 1877 a post office was opened with J. N. Page as its first postmaster. After the railroad came through this area in 1900 the town of Page’s Mill grew from the mill, general store, and post office toward the railroad tracks. The town of Page’s mill was incorporated February 26, 1907. The Ford’s Mill/Page’s Mill community, part of Marion County since the county was created in 1798, became part of Dillon County when that county was created in 1910. It was renamed Lake View in 1916.

Editor’s Note: The Robesonian is looking for your photos. We’d love to run pictures of people in our community enjoying our community.

Calendar

Nation/World

Recipes

Poll